This monument to the First Michigan is located on the Stoney Hill around the Loop on the battlefield. This monument is about ten feet tall and rests on a small rock. This location is situated on an area that the regiment shaped themselves into a “L” shape to fight against two sides of approaching Confederate soldiers. This monument was erected in 1888, and dedicated by the state of Michigan on June 12, 1889.

This monument is made out of granite and resembles crossed rifles that have a cap hung over them, a canteen, and a cartridge box resting on the rifles. The 1st Michigan was commanded by Colonel Ira C. Abbott and he wounded enough early in the fighting to transfer control of the regiment to Colonel William Throop. Ira was shot in the mouth and teeth and taken to the rear and to the 5th Corps Civil War Hospital that is directly behind the 5th Michigan.

When the 118th Pennsylvania regiment broke rank and retreated to the rear of the Wheatfield, the 1st Michigan was order to stand their ground and await the awaiting Confederate attack. In preparation of the attack, the Union soldiers began to load their rifles and build up some protection along the Stoney Hill. Due to the protection and the loaded rifles, the 1st Michigan unleashed “hell” and at the end of the fighting, there was approximately 62 rebel soldiers bodies in front of the wall. As Tilton’s brigade retreated again, the 1st Michigan retreated around 7:30 p.m.

On July 3rd, the Michigan regiment moved to relieve DeTrobriand’s brigade on Little Round Top.
